After disaster strikes your home or business, finding a restoration company that can clean up the damage can seem like a daunting task, especially right after the incident. However, when it comes to mitigating the harmful effects of water and fire damage, time is of the essence. Water damage can wreak havoc on the structural elements of your home, as well as the contents. But before you Google “water damage restoration company near me” and choose the first company that “looks” good, you’ll want to do some research.
Continue reading to find out what things you need to look for before hiring a restoration company in Jackson, WY, to fix the damage to your home and business along with questions you’ll want to be answered before you make your choice.
What Does a Water Restoration Company Do?
The first question you should know the answer to is what water damage restoration companies actually do. Most certified water restoration companies are structured to identify and assess the extent of the water damage to your home or business following a loss event. In emergency response situations, a water damage restoration company in Jackson, WY, will come to the site of the disaster and remove all standing water and other contents of the home in order to reduce the amount of damage as much as possible. Once the water has been extracted from the house and the affected areas and items are 100% dry, a certified restoration team will work to restore or replace parts of the home that was the most impacted by the water damage.
Additionally, depending on the extent of the damage to the contents in the home, water damage restoration companies will restore your possessions back to their original condition either on-site or at another facility.
Now that we have a better understanding of what a water restoration company can do for you let’s take a look at what you’ll need to consider and questions you’ll want to ask before hiring a restoration company.
Things to Consider Before Hiring a Water Damage Restoration Company Near You
Since water damage restoration companies are not federally regulated, the requirements needed for a restoration company varies from state to state, according to this article. However, here are some credentials you’ll want your restoration company to have, no matter what:
- License – A licensed restoration company means that all management must have passed a criminal background check and is required to have a specific level of experience in order to provide restoration services. Look for a company that is IICRC certified. This association is the gold standard for water damage restoration companies.
- Insurance – Your restoration company must at least be covered by general liability insurance. This will protect both you as a home or business owner and the restoration team when they are on the job.
- Certifications – Certifications are a way for you, the customer, to tell if the restoration company takes pride in their work. The more certifications they have from respected restoration associations, the better. Plus, if the company you hire has ongoing education classes for their employees, that’s a sure sign that they are invested in the quality of their work.
- Availability – Disaster strikes 24/7, so you need a restoration company that can offer services and provides you with assistance 24/7.
- Reviews – Word of mouth and online reviews are some of your best aids when it comes to hiring a restoration company you can trust.
What Questions Do I Need to Ask When Considering a Water Damage Restoration Company?
Obviously, you’ll want to ask a restoration company questions that will help to answer the considerations above, such as whether or not they have liability insurance, what accreditations they have, and their availability. Also, ask them where you can find reviews about their company. If they are forthcoming with this information, chances are you’ve found yourself a good water damage restoration company in Jackson, WY. However, if they are hesitant to give you this information or only give you their perfectly curated “reviews,” you may be dealing with a lower quality company.
Some of the other common questions you’ll want to ask, include but are not limited to:
- Asking for an accurate price by requesting a “do not exceed” estimate in writing.
- Do they do all of the restoration work themselves or hire out?
- What forms of payment do you accept? *If they will only take cash, this is a huge red flag.
- Do you give any guarantees? If the restoration company offers any warranties on their work, you’ll want to make sure you have this in writing. However, some companies do not provide warranties or guarantees because the damage caused by the elements can be so volatile it’s hard to know what the future will hold.
- How much experience do you have with this type of situation?
- How long should I expect the restoration process to take? From start to finish? For water damage restoration, the affected area needs to be dried within 3 to 5 days. Restoration experts understand that time is a critical factor in the aftermath of a disaster.
At the end of the day, you decide what water damage restoration company in Jackson, WY you want to work with. Do some research, going beyond a simple google search of “water damage restoration companies near me,” read reviews, ask questions, and follow your instinct when it comes to hiring the right restoration company for you.