Can a CPA Help With Tax Problems?

tax attorneys accounting firmWhile most people hire tax professionals like CPAs exclusively for filing those complicated tax forms, tax preparation and ensuring they get the most on their tax returns, did you know you can hire a CPA for tax problems like IRS audits and penalties? If you’re facing a tax problem, your CPA is likely the best person to offer guidance and support, whether it’s related to your business or personal taxes.

While most people think audits and other tax penalties are financial death sentences, today the IRS is actually likely to work with you so you can pay them back while also maintaining financial security—but it can take help from a CPA to make that happen.

Tax Audit

During an IRS audit, having a CPA for IRS audit assistance can make a world of difference. Your accountant will be able to help you substantiate your claims and deductions, as well as offer advice on how to best respond to questions from the IRS auditor. In some cases, your CPA tax professional may even be able to negotiate on your behalf to reach a more favorable outcome.

Owing Back Taxes

If you owe back taxes and find yourself in IRS tax debt, your CPA can also help you develop a payment plan that works for both you and the IRS. They can also help you file for an offer in compromise, which could potentially reduce the amount you owe.

Failure to File

If you failed to file your taxes one or more years, your CPA can help you catch up and get current. They can also help you determine whether you may be subject to any penalties for failure to file.

Foreign Income

If you have income from foreign sources, your CPA can help ensure that you are in compliance with all relevant tax laws. They can also help you take advantage of any available tax treaties that may apply to your situation.

Math Error Notices

If the IRS has detected a math error on your return, your CPA can help you correct the error and file an amended return if necessary.

Innocent Spouse Relief

If you are facing tax liability for which you believe you should not be held responsible, your CPA can help you apply for innocent spouse relief.

Underreport Income

Those who have underreported their income on their taxes can face serious penalties from the IRS. If you have unintentionally underreported your income, your CPA can help you file an amended return and negotiate with the IRS on your behalf.

Errors in Filing Status

If you have filed your taxes using the wrong filing status, your CPA can help you file an amended return.


If you have been issued penalties of any kind by the IRS such as tax liens or wage garnishment, your CPA can help you to understand the penalties and negotiate with the IRS for a reduction or waiver of the penalties.


If you’re facing tax issues, a CPA can be a valuable ally. They can help you understand the situation, develop a plan to resolve the issue, and even negotiate on your behalf with the IRS. Don’t go it alone—get help from a CPA firm to make sure you’re taking care of your taxes in the best way possible and getting the tax relief you need.