This project can actually be more difficult than you might think. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. Do you own dogs? How can you define the style of your home, and which window coverings will best accommodate it? Are you sure you’ll have all the right measurements down?
In this post, we’ll be discussing how best to choose window coverings.
How To Determine The Right Style And Fabric
For The Living Room
Keep the following in mind:
- Color – You want to select the right blinds, shutters, and shades for the rooms in your home. You don’t want the colors to clash. Everything needs to flow. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t have sensible contrast. For instance, if you have a neutral color layout, you may enjoy bright window coverings.
- Style – If you have a traditionally styled home, you will want wood and faux wood window coverings. If your style is more modern, minimalist, or industrial, go for modern blinds or shades.
- Window Position – Windows can be placed in such a way that at certain times of the day, sunlight can cause glare on TVs and computer screens. If this is the case, shades are a great idea.
For The Bathroom
All of the same principles apply, with one exception, but we need to focus on one thing here: if you have a traditionally styled home, use faux wood, rather than natural wood. The reason being that moisture and temperature changes can damage natural wood as these cause them to expand and contract. Faux wood window coverings don’t have this problem, and they look just as good as natural wood.
For The Bedroom
The home is a sanctuary from the world. The bedroom even more so. It’s where you rest and regenerate your energy for the day ahead. For that, you want relaxing colors. For modern styles of home decor, modern window coverings that are mellow in color are a great choice. For traditionally styled homes, go with dark woods.
Window Coverings For Dog Owners
Dogs destroy window coverings because they either see them as things to play with or as obstacles to seeing what’s going on outside. Dogs often scramble to see the source of sounds outside, whether its from cars, the mailman, sirens, or things we probably can’t even hear. Whatever the case may be, here are the best window coverings for dog owners:
- Vertical Blinds – These are vertical to the ground, so when dogs paw at them or try to move through them with their snouts, they don’t bend or break. They’re easy for dogs to get through, usually only needing to move a few aside.
- Plantation Shutters – These are not only a stylish option for traditional-style homes, but they are also very durable and sturdy. They also have various openings and slats that dogs can look through relatively easily.
Wide Slat Wood Blinds – While dogs can see through these relatively easier than other window coverings, if you choose them, you should have a dog that’s well-behaved as they aren’t particularly durable and can break under pressure.