Everybody is looking for ways to cut their expenses. Both at home and in business. Energy saving is one way that both citizens and green companies can reduce their spending. One great example of this comes from Wilding Wallbeds. This Murphy Bed and Wall Bed company upgraded its production lighting to cutting edge energy-saving lighting. They were able to cut their lighting power consumption in half at the production facility by using high efficient light bulbs.
How To Save Energy And Money
You may not have a production facility as Wilding Wallbeds does, but there are still some ways that you can be energy saving in your home. This should also help you save some money. Here are a few ways you can cut your lighting expenses.
- Solar lighting — If you are not familiar with solar lighting, now might be the time to learn more about it. Basically, the solar lamps charge up from the sun during the day. Then when the sun goes down and it gets dark, you can turn them on manually or have them set to come on at a certain time. One common solar lighting application is the strip lighting that is frequently used along pathways.
- Keep it clean — You may find that you are using your lights at times that you don’t necessarily need to. This may be because of dirty windows or having window coverings in place. If you just open up the blinds and make sure that your windows are clean, you might bring in enough light that you don’t even need to turn yours on during the day. The natural light coming in through your windows can drop up to 30 percent in time.
- Keep it clean II — Cleanliness is also important for your light bulbs and lamps. If you consistently dust or wipe them off, you’ll get the maximum efficacy. You should also look into replacing bulb sockets or at least cleaning them from time to time.
- Shut lights off — This is a pretty obvious one. Don’t leave your lights on. It happens all the time. And this is one of the best and easiest ways that you can save money even if you are not a green household or green company. If this is a big problem at your home or place of work, it might be worth it to install an automatic timer.
- Cut your wattage — While some people may not have enough light in certain rooms, others are facing the opposite problem. Rooms that have lighting that is unnecessarily bright are wasting energy. Plus, it is not exactly the environment people are comfortable being in. This is a perfect situation for reducing the wattage that you are using. You want to use light fittings that do not hamper very much of the light being emitted by light bulbs so you can use globes that have a lower wattage.
- Smart sensors — Using technology can be a great energy saving help. Using a motion sensor can make a big difference when there are lights getting left on but nobody is in the room using them.
- Energy-saving lights — Energy saving light bulbs could make a huge difference in your savings. We’re talking up to 60 percent or more! If you are using old halogen light globes, replace them with energy-efficient LED globes or Compact Fluorescent Lamps. This is especially important in areas where the lights are going to be left on for a long period of time. These new energy-saving lights will cost a bit more upfront to purchase, but save you big time in the long run. They use just 10-2- percent of the electricity that is used by incandescent bulbs. Plus, they will have a longer lifespan. Win-Win!
- Dimmer switches — Choose light bulbs that are compatible with a dimmer switch. These switches can help cut the amount of electricity the bulbs have to use and even help them to last longer. Another win-win!
Whether you are a green company or just working on energy saving in your home, these suggestions should help. There are multiple benefits for green companies and people who save energy in their homes. Give it a try and you won’t be sorry that you did!