The term emissions refers to the production and discharge of something into the environment. This thought to be one of the main causes of climate change. An article on the NASA website discusses the causes of climate change.
“The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, concluded there’s a more than 95 percent probability that human activities over the past 50 years have warmed our planet. The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric carbon dioxide levels from 280 parts per million to 412 parts per million in the last 150 years. The panel also concluded there’s a better than 95 percent probability that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth’s temperatures over the past 50 years.”
Fix The Problem
This does not sound good. And if you believe what you see and hear in the media, it is downright alarming. The good news is that if human activities are having negative effects on the environment, there should be ways that we can change that can help the environment. It could make a huge difference if all companies followed the Wilding Wallbeds‘ example regarding using exhaust filters.
This Murphy Bed and custom furniture manufacturing company has a spray booth that uses exhaust filters designed to decrease the emissions from its shop. This happens by the filter scrubbing the air before it is released into the environment. These filters make the finishing process safer, cleaner and more efficient. This is a great example of a company being environmentally responsible. Not only does Wilding use filtered emissions, but there are some other ways that the company is doing its part to help the environment. It has installed energy-saving lighting, uses clean renewable energy, recycled solvents, and is environmentally responsible about where it obtains the wood used to manufacture furniture. Wilding Wallbeds is a truly green company.
Wikipedia offers the following explanation about how a scrubber system works to make filtered emissions. (And we learned from Michael Scott on “The Office”, Wikipedia has the best possible information. This is because “anyone in the world can write anything they want on any subject”).
Scrubber systems are a diverse group of air pollution control devices. They are used to remove some particulates and/or gases from industrial exhaust streams. The first air scrubber was designed to remove carbon dioxide from the air of an early submarine. This is how they use them to this day. Traditionally, the term “scrubber” has referred to pollution control devices that use liquid to wash unwanted pollutants from a gas stream. It also describes systems that inject dry reagent or slurry into dirty exhaust streams to “wash out” acid gases. Scrubbers are one of the primary devices that control gaseous emissions, especially acid gases.
What Makes A Green Company
We’ve all heard people talking about companies going green or being green. People recognize that being green is related to the environment. And that filtered emissions are part of it. However, a lot of people aren’t exactly sure what that means or how to recognize if a business is green.
Greenamerica.org has the following definition of green businesses. “Green businesses adopt principles, policies and practices that improve the quality of life for their customers, employees, communities, and the planet.” Here are some characteristics that green businesses have in common.
- Socially and environmentally responsible — These companies work hard to incorporate principles and practices that protect people and the planet. This includes everything from production to the way they treat employees and customers.
- Employee care — No green company would be using sweatshops or child labor. They ensure that their employees are earning a living wage and have healthy working conditions.
- Customer and client protection — They recognize the importance of using the safest ingredients to keep customers and clients healthy. These companies also work to improve the quality of life through reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Improve the community — Many of these businesses will take steps to make their community a better place to live. You’ll find a lot of these businesses in inner-city and rural areas.
- Certification — If a business is really serious about wanting people to know they are doing what they can to be green, they’ll have a certification that they can point to.