With the Coronavirus taking over the world, keeping clean has likely never been more important. Not only should we be washing our hands frequently throughout the day, but we need to make sure that our homes are kept clean too. There are plenty of steps that can be taken. Some are pretty obvious. Others are not as well known — like adding antimicrobial protection to your furniture. We’ll get to that in a minute, but first here are some additional tips to help you and your family stay virus-free.
What’s that? You’ve already heard this one hundreds of times? Well, it’s because it is that important to prevent the spreading of germs. You need to be doing this frequently throughout the day — anytime you cough or sneeze, touch your face, use the bathroom, etc. And as long as the COVID-19 situation is spreading like wildfire, you should be washing your hands anytime you go out in public — like to the store.
You’ll want to make sure that you do it with soap and water and wash for at least 20 seconds each time. Remember that hand sanitizer is better than nothing but not a great substitute for actually washing your hands. With this amount of handwashing, it will also be important to keep your hands moisturized. Otherwise, you could end up with dry and cracked skin. If that happens, your skin will be more susceptible to a variety of infections.
This may very well be the best way to keep germs out of your home. Avoiding crowds and any unnecessary trips into public places will greatly increase your chances of staying healthy. Here are some tips that can help you stay safe:
- Stay home as much as possible. Avoid large gatherings, going to bars, restaurants, etc.
- Stay at least six feet away from other people in public.
- Again, wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds (or use hand sanitizer).
- If you’re coughing or sneezing, wear a protective mask.
What And How To Clean
Keep in mind that cleaning and disinfecting are not the same thing. What is the difference? When you clean, you are removing contaminants from a surface and when you disinfect you are killing pathogens. The experts say we should be doing both on a daily basis. If you do the following each day, you’ll be off to a great start.
- Clean and disinfect your countertops, sink faucet and handles, refrigerator handles, and cutting boards. Do this in both the kitchen and bathroom.
- When you are cleaning, use dishcloths that you can throw in the washer with hot water. Use a fresh, clean towel or dishcloths each day.
- Clean any spills on the kitchen floor (or other floors) so they don’t attract more dirt and bacteria.
- Empty bathroom garbages — especially any with dirty diapers. Use some sanitizing spray on those containers.
- If you have pets, put their dishes in the dishwasher.
- If you have young kids, clean and disinfect their changing table. Put their pacifiers in the dishwasher or hand wash them.
- Make sure you hit these high-touch surfaces: doorknobs, tables, chairs (seat, back, and arms), counters, faucets, and faucet knobs, toilets (both seat and handle), light switches, remote controls, and game controllers
- Every home is different so yours might have other spots that are not on this list. Just be sure to hit all of the surfaces that get a lot of use.
Do you need some advice on how to get these places as clean as they should be? No problem. Your first step will be to do some basic cleaning. This will remove any dirt, dust, debris, or other contaminants. Then you can do your disinfecting. Begin this process by wiping the surface down with soapy water and a towel. Then you can use a disinfectant that is recommended for that specific type of surface. The best way to get this done is with disinfecting wipes or disinfectant spray.
What About Clothes?
If you are serious about making sure your clothes are disinfected, really all you need to do is dry them at a little higher temperature than you normally would. No need to change the way they are washed — using your regular laundry soap will do just fine. Don’t forget about disinfecting the areas where you keep your dirty laundry — like your laundry basket. This is of even greater importance if anyone in the home is under the weather. And of course, wash your hands after handling dirty clothes. (If you can, the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention recommends putting a liner inside your laundry basket.) Don’t forget to clean any jackets, gloves, or hats that you might have been using too.
Antimicrobial Protection For Furniture
Without any further ado, let’s get back to antimicrobial protection. Long before the Coronavirus came along, Wilding Wallbeds was working to help you keep your home clean and safe. One way this was done is with the addition of antimicrobial protection to your Murphy Beds and other custom furniture.
When you have your custom furniture made at Wilding Wallbeds, this is one way to make it safer. Wilding Wallbeds has started using Antimicrobial Protection with Sherwin-Williams finishes with Microban Protection. This was initially designed for use in clinics and hospitals. This is antimicrobial technology that is infused in the finish during the manufacturing process of Murphy Beds. It is then a permanent part of the finished product. This technology protects against mold and mildew without any change to the durability or aesthetics of the Murphy Bed.
It is more than just an ordinary surface disinfectant that temporarily eliminates microbes. Antimicrobial protection works 24/7 to inhibit the growth of those pesky microbes. Your products, and therefore your home will be cleaner with more odor control because your problems will be prevented before they even start. The best part? It won’t wash off or wear away. You’ll never need to have it reapplied and it will provide protection for the life of the product.
Microban is commonly used in the sportswear industry to permanently get rid of odor, mold, and mildew. It is also popular with the producers of things like medical equipment, doors, exercise equipment, lockers and infectious control departments in hospitals and clinics. Antimicrobial protection will give you greater confidence and peace of mind with your Murphy Bed!